Sunday, December 23, 2012

Backpacking

Hiking Sorak Mt. was a glorious and extremely challenging experience. At times I thought no way on earth can I go another step and then I did. Yet, for how challenging it was we were able to finnish the various sections faster than the map predicted for us :)

Ultimately the purpose was to look over the places we would be bringing the campers and make final lodging plans and reservations, and we had some great success!

I have to comment on how breathtaking it was to climb and at every turn behold a new sene of wonder and hugeness. The snow and ice had its own hand in creating a whole new kind of hiking experience. The snow gave the landscape beauty and mystery and at the same time had a unique effect on our hiking. I used spiky shoes straps for grip on the snow and was often challenged by the slipperiness of the well packed down snow from the many climbers who proceeded us. Yet, on the way down the mountain i was pleasantly surprised and mostly delighted to find the snow a great moving agent. Me and the other leaders would take to our bums and slide down the steep slopes. At some points I was a little afraid for my life. It didn't take long to build up some good speed and at points stopping took all our energy.

Obviously I made it alive and no worse the wear, but to be honest I was quite soar from the whole trip for a good two days!

No comments:

Post a Comment