Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Hiking with The General

A few weeks ago I had the day off and decided to go an a little adventure!

Me and the General (Dog) went on a hike up a nearby mountain. I was not planning on any tag alongs and when the dog started following me i thought he would soon turn around and find something more interesting. I was wrong and he stuck around the whole trip even crossed a fast stream and climbed one steep mountain.

This is the view at the top, it was a cloudy and a little rainy but over all a good day for a hike.
Well not really, but I made the best of it :) I brought one candy bar that I had to sneak because the dog was kinda hungry and i didn't want him trying to take it from me especially because it was chocolate and that is bad for dogs as most people are aware of.

I started the trip fairly optimistically, glad to be free and in the woods. It didn't take long for me to realize that there really wasn't a good trail or at least not where I was hiking. The first hour or so I wasn't clear on where I was going and had a number of dead ends, turn around's and trail blazing episodes. Thankfully once I made it part
way up I came across a trail that actually looked promising. The trail was good and lead me right up the mountain. I realized just how steep the trail was when I attempted the decent.

Coming down the mountain, was when I began thinking about what would happen if I fell and got hurt or died. I mean that would be kinda sad to die in the woods were nobody would be likely to find me and what a mess of trouble that would create! However, I soon began to think about how in a way I am kinda invincible, i mean ya nobody knows when they are going to die but at the
same time we kinda have an idea when we are on the path that God has laid out for us. I know, that God has more for me and he has more life he wants to live with me before we are together for eternity. I was encouraged and reassured by that thought.

Part way down I heard a rush of water to my left and decided I had been on the trail long enough. It was a little tricky getting to the water, but once I found it the cool clear water was so refreshing. I decided to take the river down for a bit and didn't regret my choice. The stream was beautiful, fast, cold and turned out
to be a great shortcut.

No comments:

Post a Comment