Tuesday, November 20, 2012

My First Travel Adventure


This past Sunday I went to Samil church in Seoul. It was really quite pleasant and though the church is made up of 20,000 members the international service was quite pleasant and very welcoming. I went with Sang and because he had some school stuff to see to I offered to take myself home. In my over confident state I began my journey home. Now while South Korea is a small country it still tends to take a long time to go anywhere. I was looking at about at hour and a half trip on the subway/train and another 20 min walk. On the way to church we only transferred once and I felt it wouldn't be that hard to figure it out. As i walked into the station i was having trouble remembering which way Sang told me not to go when somebody spoke my name.
"Sarah, over here!", there was one of the Americans who i meet at the church service and a Chinese friend was with him.  He asked where I was going and proceeded to help me find the best route to take an a miniature map he had. We finally settled on a route and I thanked him and his friend before I set off.
I was happily settled on a train a few minutes latter and noting each stop that I was indeed going the right way and counting down the stops until my transfer. At this point i did notice that the line I wanted next was light blue and their where two of them, but I decided to go with the original plan and transferred at the designated stop and got on the train for Dokso (the region i live in). The plan was to wait and get off the stop after Dokso station and I would simply have to find my way by walking from there.
unfortunately, the train i got on was stopping at Dokso. I had no choice but to get off and was fortunate in the fact that I had been to this station before and knew where the bus stop was a had a good idea about what number buses to look for. I soon spotted a 99-2 bus, which is the number for a local bus that goes right past my apparent. I was in luck and I was on my way. yet again unfortunately this was the wrong 99-2 as i learned latter and soon found myself alone on the bus and feeling like I was in the wrong place. The bus driver said something to me and open the bus door which I figured was a sign for me to make my exit. There I was, no idea which way was home, with no way of communicating to anybody who could help me, except of-course God and we were in consultation continually. I decided fairly quickly to start walking and asked God which direction to go and figured the sooner I begin the sooner I get home.
After a few min of walking I noticed of a stream and a ravine to my left. The idea dawned on me that the stream is probably going to the Han River and my apartment is fairly close to the river! I made sure I knew which way the steam was going and headed off in that direction. As soon as I found a way to descend to the stream i did. to many this stream would be considered more of a river but in comparison to the Han River, it is a stream. I thanked God for the inspiration of the stream as I walked and after about a mile found the river which I was able to recognize which way to go because I had taken a walk along it just the day before. I was also grateful for the path that I was lead on because it was the quietest and least traveled road I probably could have gone. I sometimes find it unnerving the looks i get from unsuspecting koreans finding a lone white girl on the street and enjoyed not only the quiet but the beauty I found along the river. I walked about 3 miles and was happy to make it home safe and sound.


3 comments:

  1. Nice work gettig to know the city!:) ...and getting to know little retreats from the city. Happy Thanksgiving!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy thanksgiving Adrienne. Sorry I missed your "FaceTime" call. Hopefully we'll be able to talk some this weekend.

    ReplyDelete