Thursday, May 26, 2011

Last Tuesday and Wednesday Me and Ji Won tackled the Hwan Gang River or at least 70k of it. It was so beautiful and enchanting to be out on the river sorounded by majestic mountains, rock faces and a variety of wildlife. Wednesday, was particularly exciting with me falling into the river fairly early on.
I didn't expect that particular rapid area to be so rabid and we got caught on some rocks and out I fell as the canoe went sideways. I made it through just fine only a scrape on my knee and a few broken nails.
The rest of the day went much better, with spurts of rapids and nap times. Around noon we began to look for a place to get out and find some food when we came upon a group of about 20 men huddled around some coal fires and other cooking equipment. We paddled near them and Ji Won spoke with them. I believe he asked if there were any restrants near by or something along those lines but we ended up getting out and having lunch with them. Little did I know that a quick stop would turn into an hour venture.
I soon became the "honored" gest, they gave me one of the few chairs to sit on, piled the grill with a variety of clams, fresh shrimp, beef, pork and potatoes. Thankfully I am fairly confident with chopsticks and have adjusted to some of the eating habits here. Thankfully I was able to eat and accept the food gracefully and it was uber good as well! Soon after we arrived I looked around and noticed a number of camera's out and to my surprise, realized I was the subject! Some of the guy's knew a little English and we talked a little in between them giving me more food and juice.
Ji Won told me how to say I liked the food (Mashda-which means delicious or something like that), and let me know that some of them wanted to try out the canoe and that he would be right back. I wasn't too excited about the idea of being left alone with all these guy's who barely spoke English but couldn't do much about it and, figured it would be fine and they would enjoy the ride. Yet i was releaved when they made it back and Ji Won was able to help me understand what was going on.
The guy that I was sitting next to for most of time has a daughter who went to Australia and he said she had a hard time there, so he wanted to make sure I felt welcomed. Most of them worked in Seoul as mechanics for the subway and came to the river for some relaxation and a good time.
To top it all off before we left and after I had exclaimed multiple times that I was full (pebula), they said I had to try this particular dish, that is was a very important I at least give it a try. It was a traditional dish where you are supposed to put kimche, pork and this special kind of fish together in one bite and enjoy. It took me a few minutes attempting to put all three together and get it to my mouth with the chopsticks and eventually just picked it up and ate it. Along with almost all the Korean food I have eaten it was good and everyone was overjoyed.
I later found out from Kuk Jay that the fish was a type of Manta Ray and exstremly expensive and an honor for them to offer me some. This is just one example of Korean hospitality and kindness for which I am so grateful.
I am often left wondering why? Why are they so nice to me and honestly I don't deserve any more kindness than anyone else, yet I am blessed and encouraged. It is strange to stick out as well, like everyone notices me and even more so because I am active and do things that most girls here don't like canoe and play basketball.

1 comment:

  1. Their girls don't enjoy canoeing or basketball? How incredibly sad!

    ReplyDelete